Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Martin Luther meets Disney

Yes, I know it's been 3 years since I've updated this blog, but inspiration doesn't grow on trees. However, the muse has struck again after a lengthy hiatus.

Several weeks ago, I heard some young girls singing this song. I hadn't seen "Frozen" yet, so upon hearing the line "Here I stand," my first thought was, "Martin Luther?" Well now that I've finally seen the movie, I couldn't resist turning "Let It Go" into a song about Luther at the Diet of Worms. I apologize in advance if I've mangled church history. You'll also have to use your imagination and put the words to the music as I don't have the skills to make a music video of my own.

Enjoy!




The town of Worms is quiet tonight
Not a footfall in the street
In prayer and meditation
There's no way that I can sleep
My inward wrestlings are a tempest deep inside
Coming to a head, and I must decide.

What shall I do?
Which side to please?
Keep the vows that I once made as a priest?
But truth I seize
They want to know
Well they will know

Not the pope, not the pope
Papal bulls or grim threats galore
Not the pope, not the pope
Kings or counsels, dukes or lords
What I say
Puts my life at stake
But what can I do?
The Word alone I must obey.

And with the Cross before me
Makes all else seem so small
Authorities that once ruled me
Have no real power at all
It's time to answer to a king
But I bow to the King of Kings
Lord, calm my heart, give me the words
To speak.

Not the pope, not the pope
Excommunicate if you must
Not the pope, not the pope
God alone deserves my trust
Here I stand
I will not recant
So please help me, God

And though my voice is faltering, courage starts to grow
The Spirit's with me and He'll not forsake me this I know
This is the moment, and there is no turning back
That door is shut for good, and now I must stand fast.
Not the pope, not the pope
I now take my place on the floor
Not the pope, not the pope
My conscience's bound no more
Here I stand
I will not recant
So please help me, God
Thy Word alone I must obey.

1 comment:

Eddie Eddings said...

These are great! I will be singing these during my summer vacation.